Pages

On My Reading List...

Sunday, January 19, 2014



Reading is just the bees knees, isn't it? I love the way a book feels so intimate to the reader, everyone experiencing stories in a different way, feeling uniquely attached to the characters inside and carrying them with you once you close that back cover.

Thanks to my restless mind, I usually find myself deeply immersed in no less than six story lines at a time. I'll read anything from Wine for Dummies to Wuthering Heights, but here's what's on the docket for January:



-The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls - I've heard enough people raving about this incredibly smart memoir that it really should have been on my reading list months ago. I'm about halfway through and it's one of those that keeps you up hours past your bedtime because you keep telling yourself "ok, just ONE more chapter."

-Remodelista by Julie Carlson - This beauty is chock-full of gorgeous interiors and tips for the remodelista in all of us, written by the genius behind the beloved online design sourcebook that shares its name.

-The Old Man and The Sea by Earnest Hemingway - I like to re-read classics like this every now and then since they can easily be found for next-to-nothing at used book stores around the city.

-The Cuckoo's Calling by J.K. Rowling, writing under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith - I was curious about this one because of a. the pseudonym thing, and b. the premise - a detective is hired by the brother of a legendary supermodel who falls to her death, which is initially ruled a suicide. However, her brother is convinced she was murdered and it quickly becomes clear that everyone involved is hiding something. Look forward to figuring this one out! 

-Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn - A serious fan of Gone Girl, I'm eager to dig into Gillian's début novel. Also a psychological thriller, I'm sure it will keep me feeling weird and developing unwarranted paranoia of my surroundings, much like Gone Girl did.

-Made to Stick by Chip Heath & Dan Heath - I revisit this one a lot when I'm looking for a little career/life inspiration. The Heath brothers offer a ton of hilarious commentary on why some ideas stick and why others die while giving the reader sage advice for how to make everything you do sticky and make your ambitions a reality.

Anyone reading anything good that should be on my next list?

Till next time,
Amanda



0 comments:

Post a Comment